When planning to have a new home built, there are many things to consider and it is important to be organized and aware of those things in order to avoid getting overwhelmed. Factors such as the overall size of the home, individual customization of features, weather conditions where the home is being built, available workers and supplies, as well as other factors come into play. The construction of a new home can take an average of three months to over a year, so best to go into the project with awareness and knowledge of what the months ahead could be like.
Before even coming up with a timeline, it is important to write a list of priorities, which will consist of deciding whether to work on the home design first or the lot purchase. Reviewing credit history and doing research with regard to architects, real estate professionals, and contractors are also important. Determining a location for the home and having an expert determine if the lot is suitable for the home you want to build or whether it will require any special connections for water or electricity should also be completed in this initial phase.
In all phases throughout planning and during the project, communication is key in making the project a success. Establishing a consistent and clear form of communicating changes, responsibilities and any other pertinent information with builders, contractors and any other parties that are involved is vital. It is also important to communicate in a way that is documented, in case of miscommunications down the line and someone needs to be held accountable for an error.
Building permits and zoning laws will determine much with regard to project specifics and how a contractor can bring your vision to life.
Another important aspect in the new home construction process involves a clear understanding of the roles and responsibilities of each person involved. Some of the key players will include:
- The person who owns the home and will make decisions as far as budget and design according to their preferences and needs
- Real estate professional who will assist in the purchase of the lot and the closing of the house
- Architects, designers, contractors and builders who make the dream come to life, engineers and inspectors
When it gets down to writing down a timeline, a lot of things can impact the process, but if all goes according to plan it can typically look something like the following:
- Design process, including decisions regarding square footage, overall layout, and bedroom placement are decided
- Lot purchase
- The empty lot will be prepared for the building of the new home
- Footings, foundation and framing
- Exterior finishes like plywood and house wrap are applied to seal the inside of the home off from the outside
- Heating and cooling units, plumbing lines, and electrical systems will be installed and the walls can then be closed with insulation and drywall.
- Flooring, paint, fixtures, appliances and smart home features
- Final inspections